Raspberry Growing Guide Soil Preparation Raspberries like rich soil and a sunny position. Add well rotted manure to the soil a few weeks before planting. Clear the weeds away and dig a trench. Planting Instructions Plant the canes about 1…
Some people talk about ‘resting’ the soil over winter, however the soil doesn’t rest in nature. It is a living community and although growing slows down, it still happens. You don’t have to abandon your garden in winter, there are plenty of vegetables to grow that will let you to extend the season and close the hungry gap a bit.
- An Egg from my girls!
- 80gm butter or marg
- 160gm flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg beaten with a bit of water and 1tsp mustard
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A handful of kale- remove the stems and chop the kale
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 finely chopped chilli
- 6 runner beans, sliced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 small courgette- this little beauty is one of our heritage plants!
- 100gm cheese grated- a sharp hard cheese is good
- 3 medium tomatoes (I've used our golden ones)
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2tbsp chopped purple sage
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to at (Gas mk 6, 200 C/400 F)
- Pie Crust
- Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Dice the potato and steam it until it is soft. Saute the kale with onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the steamed potatoes and mix well. Chuck in the rest of the ingredients except the tomatoes and half the cheese. Mix well and press into the pie case. Top with the rest of the cheese and tomatoes and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a corn on the cob, a green salad and some beetroot slaw.
Risottos are a great way of enjoying lots of fresh veg that is ripe without over cooking them. You can just chuck most of them in at the last minute. If you are veggie, you can always use a veggie…
We have had a lot of rain this week, thankfully, everything was so dry. I resisted watering things, but now I regret that.
I’ve moved the mint from the herb spiral into pots and placed the pots in the spiral because it was starting to take over. Learn more
We’ve had some great weather and rightly or wrongly, I’ve started planting early and main crop. I’m watching nature and copying.
Everything is so early this year. The Magnolia came in all its glory and then disappeared in the next few days. Learn more
I’ve had a very lovely and full weekend in the garden and I’ve got loads done. Learn more
This week I have been tidying mostly. There are many leaves and the chickens have made such a mess when they scrat about. The lawns also look untidy because it has been so wet and muddy and people have been…