How To Blanch & Freeze Runner Beans
Write a review
- Runner Beans
- First wash and chop the beans in small pieces about 2 inches or so.
- Remove any stringy bits or brown bits.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and then boil the beans for about 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain and plunge into a boil of water and ice.
- Leave them in the water until they are cold, usually about 3 minutes also.
- Remove and drain well, get as much excess water off as possible.
- Next place the beans on a baking tray in a single layer and freeze for 2 hours. This prevents the beans from clumping together when frozen. When they are frozen, place in freezer bags.
- These beans will still taste garden fresh and require less cooking. For the best taste, cook from frozen.
- If you grow beans, chances are that you will end up with more beans than you can eat so freezing is a brilliant way to save some for the winter. Freezing them ensures that you retain more nutrients than other methods of preserving. Boiling and blanching the beans before freezing them makes sure that they keep their texture and colour when you take them out and cook them.
This Week In The Garden http://www.thisweekinthegarden.co.uk/